The 2014 New America Conference occurred Thursday, May 15, and Friday, May 16. For more information on the keynote presentations and panels, see the following pages. For a preview of New America's 10 Big Ideas, click here.
John McCain delivered the keynote address at the opening of the 2014 New America Conference.
New America board member, Steve Rattner, tackles data from Thomas Piketty’s Capital in the Twenty-First Century and highlights the facets of income inequality that the nationwide debate has neglected to illuminate.
- Steve Rattner, Chairman, Willett Advisors, LLC
- Van Jones, Host, CNN's Crossfire
New America International Security Program Director Sharon Burke discusses the concerns the U.S. faces in a world where record domestic energy production does not complete assuage the geopolitical energy difficulties it's faced in the past.
- Sharon Burke, Asst. Sec. of Defense for Operational Energy Plans and Programs, DoD
- Steve LeVine, Washington Correspondent, Quartz
Documentary filmmaker Hao Wu and South Asia expert and New America Fellow Anish Goel discuss two of the world's most important emerging economies and world powers — China and India.
- Hao Wu, Documentary Filmmaker
- Anish Goel, Senior Director for South Asia, National Security Council (2009-2011)
- Daniel Kurtz-Phelan, Department of State's Policy Planning Staff (2009-2012)
New America board member, Dr. Atul Gawande, delivers his big idea — Why we should tend to the patients with the most need in order to turn our health care economy around.
Susan Glasser, former Foreign Policy editor and current POLITICO Magazine editor, joins her husband, White House Correspondent for The New York Times Peter Baker, in a discussion about Russia's current ambitions in Ukraine.
- Susan Glasser, Editor,POLITICO Magazine
- Peter Baker, White House Correspondent,New York Times
- Romesh Ratnesar, Deputy Editor,Bloomberg Businessweek
Unmanned drones are too often on the front lines of battlefields across the world. What impact will big data have on setting objectives in warfare — and does these developments go too far?
- Sascha Meinrath, Director, X-Lab, New America
- Peter Bergen, Director, International Security Program, New America
- Tim Maurer, Research Fellow, Open Technology Institute, New America
- Tom Ricks, National Security Writer,Foreign Policy
- Rosa Brooks, Professor, Georgetown Law
- Anne-Marie Slaughter, President and CEO, New America
Hillary Rodham Clinton delivered the keynote address at the second day of the 2014 New America Conference.
How will the Internet economy continue to affect the global economy?
- Michael Lind, Policy Director, Economic Growth Program, New America
- Marco Annunziata, Chief Economist, GE
- Suzanne Berger, Chair, Innovation Economy Project, MIT
- Katy George, Global Co-Leader, Manufacturing Group, McKinsey and Company
- Amb. Karen Kornbluh, Senior Fellow for Digital Policy, Council on Foreign Relations
Future Tense Fellow Tim Wu discusses how best to distrupt stagnant industries.
- Tim Wu, Author,The Master Switch
Following the success of nonprofit newspapers like the Texas Tribune and the Tampa Bay Times, panelists discuss what can be done to bring this calibre of journalism to all 50 states.
- Evan Smith, Editor-in-Chief and CEO,Texas Tribune
- Michelle Ferrier, Assoc. Dean for Innovation, Research & Creative Activity, Ohio University
- David Sasaki, Officer, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Perry Bacon Jr., On-Air Political Analyst, MSNBC
Gov. Deval Patrick (D-MA) gave a keynote speech at the New America Conference followed by a conversation with CNN's Candy Crowley.
- Governor Deval Patrick, Governor of Massachusetts
- Candy Crowley, Anchor, CNN's State of the Union
Education Reporter Libby Nelson from Vox lead an informative panel on the question of whether the usefullness of the credit hour had lapsed.
- Amy Laitinen, Deputy Director, Education Policy, New America
- Cathrael Kazin, Chief Academic Officer, College of America
- Hal Plotkin, Senior Policy Advisory, U.S. Department of Education
- Libby Nelson, Education Reporter, Vox
Assets Program Director Reid Cramer engaged experts on how the criminal justice system often sentences former incarcerated felons to a life sentence of displacement in society. The panel also discussed potential solutions to better reintegrations of ex-felons.
- Monica Potts, Senior Writer,The American Prospect
- Reid Cramer, Director, Asset Building Program, New America
- Bernard Kerik, Police Commissioner (retired), City of New York
- Nicole Austin-Hillery, Director and Counsel, Brennan Center for Justice in D.C.
Girls Who Code Founder Reshma Saujani spoke about flipping the equation on the tech workforce, bringing women back into equity on using code in the workplace.
- Reshma Saujani, Founder, Girls Who Code
Andrew McAfee, author of Enterprise 2.0 and The Second Machine Age, spoke on capitalism and the second machine age.
- Andrew McAfee, Author,Enterprise 2.0andThe Second Machine Age
To close out the conference, Liza Mundy, director of New America's Breadwinning and Caregiving program, led a discussion with panelists on why time off is often the best trigger for increased productivity.
- Brigid Schulte, Author,Overwhelmed: Work, Love, and Play When No One has Time
- Yves Morieux, Senior Partner and Managing Director, Boston Consulting Group
- Mark Beeman, Professor of Psychology and Neurosciences, Northwestern University
- Liza Mundy, Director, Breadwinning and Caregiving Program, New America